Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coping Strategies

 

This morning I found a new coping strategy.  Believe it or not this whole experience has been slightly stressful. There is not a lot of alone time and I get overwhelmed being around people 24/7. When the Peace Corps asked me during the interview what my coping strategies were for dealing with stress I said writing in my journal or reading. Unfortunately there isn’t time to write and all the books I brought seem to be downers, which are hardly stress relievers.  The good news! Is that I found a new strategy.  I go to the roof and was my clothing by hand. We have a little washing machine but doing it by hand seems just as efficient if not more so. Lately it has been really hot and the water we wash clothing with is nice and cold. I just sit on the roof, bask in the sun, and scrub my clothing as deliberately but slowly as possible while enjoying music on my ipod. It is about the one hour a week I can sit down and take the time to think and process, which I can’t, do while trying to speak darija or hanging out with the kids at Dar Chebab (youth center.) Maybe I can also use that time to come up with another coping strategy for when in starts snowing and I can’t just hang out on the roof anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment