Sunday, November 1, 2009

Site Placement

The end of training is approaching and I have lots of updates!
First off

I have been placed in a town between the Atlas Mountains and the Anti Atlas. I will be near the desert but by no means will I be completely surrounded by sand, as I had originally feared. There are actually two rivers that run around the town and in May the valley is filled with roses. For this reason I will now refer to my site as the RoseValley.

I will be replacing a volunteer that has been working in RoseValley for the last two years. She has been very generous with general information about the site, people to work with, organizations to work with, projects she worked on and more. It sounds like I will have active counterparts and a nice Moudir with whom I will collaborate. I feel very blessed to be going to RoseValley! Everytime I mention that I am moving there other PCVs, kids at the Dar Chebab and my host family, as well as strangers all give me positive feed back about the town and the people that live there (this is not the case for ever site.)

Some other benefits of replacing a volunteer is that I will be able to buy all of her things and it turns out that hopefully I will just move into her apartment as well. This will save me a significant amount of my settling in allowance as well as saving me the trouble of looking for a place to live, negotiating rent and utilities and getting PC staff to make sure it is safe.

I will be able to tell you more about it once I get there but for now it sounds Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment